20 April 2005

Install openoffice-1.1.4 in FreeBSD and take screenshot, xv.

I always got problem to install openoffice from the stable branch. e.g.

%pkg_add -vr openoffice
looking up ftp3.jp.freebsd.org
connecting to ftp3.jp.freebsd.org:21
setting passive mode
opening data connection
initiating transfer
Error: FTP Unable to get ftp://ftp3.jp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-5-stable/Latest/openoffice.tbz: File unavailable (e.g., file not found, no access)
pkg_add: unable to fetch 'ftp://ftp3.jp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-5-stable/Latest/openoffice.tbz' by URL
pkg_add: 1 package addition(s) failed

To install from release branch you can use the:
# pkg_add -r openoffice
as suggested by the handbook, but the problem is it will fetch the openoffice-1.1.2 (I want the openoffice-1.1.4). Today, I solved my problem by:
%pkg_add -v http://oootranslation.services.openoffice.org/pub/OpenOffice.org/ooomisc/FreeBSD/OOo_1.1.4_FreeBSD53Intel_install.tbz
It clearly state in the OpenOffice.org website. Stupid me :(, I'm too much depend on default freebsd package repository.

How to grab the screenshot for the desktop? Use xv :) I know we can use gimp, but I rarely use that app (I don't remember when last time I use gimp, I guess last 2 months). Open xv menu>Grab. I use middle mouse to select fullscreen. Here is my desktop screenshot (in png format). (evilwm, FreeBSD-5.3, gkrellm). I had uploaded to my flickr, but it resize the image and I can't read the words :(. Yahoo photos also will resize the image (layout not good in firefox). The image size in fotopages quite OK, but 'Image Viewing is down for maintenance' message give me bad impression.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

>>I had uploaded to my flickr, but it resize the image

Ops.. Actually flickr allow you to view for different size.
Go to 'Your Account'. Then go to 'Allowing Downloads' at 'Photo Settings' block. Choose 'Anyone' for 'Who can download you photos?'

Alfa said...

I want to install OpenOffice on my freebsd, thanks guide download, and install it.